There are lots of wrinkle creams, eye serums, and other anti-aging skin care products available to help reduce the signs of aging. To create a truly effective anti-aging skincare plan, however, it helps to start with healthy skin care habits.
Healthy skincare habits can help:
- prevent a blotchy complexion
- retains skin’s youthful firmness longer
- reduce fine lines and wrinkles
- avoid leathery skin
- reduce the risk of skin cancer
- Apply moisturizer every day. As we age, the skin becomes drier. Fine lines and wrinkles appear. Moisturizer traps water in our skin giving it a more youthful appearance.
- Cleanse daily. Washing your face with a gentle cleanser improves appearance. Avoid scrubbing the skin though.
- Stop smoking. Tobacco smoke contains toxins and continuous exposure to it results in a dull and dry complexion. Skin also loses its firmness forming premature lines and wrinkles.
- Eat healthily. A healthy diet promotes healthy skin, this includes fruits, vegetables, lean protein, and healthy fats.
- Get enough sleep. It’s called ‘beauty rest’ for a reason. Sleep gives your body time to refresh and renew itself. Protecting skin from the sun. Sun protection is the foundation of every anti-aging skincare plan. The sun’s rays make our skin age more quickly. There is lots of evidence that the sun prematurely ages our skin; we call this photoaging. To avoid this, seek shade and avoid the sun between 10 am and 4 pm, cover up with hats, long sleeves, and sunglasses, and be sure to wear sunscreen every day with an SPF of 30 or higher.
- Avoid indoor tanning with sun lamps or tanning beds.